The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Desert Springs Hospital
Obesity — A Matter of Life and Death
More than 12.5 million Americans are severely overweight, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. For many, severe obesity is a matter of life and death.
Many people who are seriously overweight have tried different diets, medications and professional weight-loss services for years without long-term success.
Fortunately weight-loss surgery at The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center in Las Vegas can help seriously overweight people get the long-term weight-loss they need.
What is weight-loss surgery?
Weight-loss surgery helps people lose weight by reducing the size of the stomach or bypassing part of the patient's intestines. After surgery, patients eat less food to feel full and satisfied.
There is more to gastric bypass surgery than the procedure itself. To be successful, patients must make major changes in their lifestyle and eating habits. For example, following surgery patients must:
- Restrict the amount and types of food they eat
- Avoid drinking liquids with meals
- Stick with a regular exercise program
- Take vitamin and mineral supplements
Is weight-loss surgery right for me?
Weight-loss surgery may be right for you if:
- You are between 18 and 65 years of age.
- Your are at least 80 pounds overweight, depending on other health conditions.
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is greater than 35.
- You have tried other weight-loss methods without success.
- You are medically stable and physically able to withstand surgery.
- You pass a psychological screening test that helps ensure you are able to comply with post-surgical behavior modifications.
- You complete all required pre-operative testing.
What Would You Look Like?
Download the free SHAPER App and see for yourself.
The SHAPER Bariatric App helps you see how you can return to a healthier lifestyle. Download the app to:
- See how you can reshape your body
- Learn more about weight-loss surgery options at Desert Springs Hospital
- Learn about the Surgical Weight Control Center physicians:
James D. Atkinson, MD, FACS, and Darren W. Soong, MD, FACS
- Sign up for an upcoming weight-loss seminar
- Receive updates on health-related topics
Download the app for the iPhone at the App Store or for Android smart phone in the Google Play Store.
Individual results may vary. There are risks associated with any surgical procedure. Talk with your doctor about these risks to find out if bariatric surgery is right for you.
ER Wait Time