Lose Weight, Gain a Healthier Life
More than 12.5 million Americans are severely overweight, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Obesity, which refers to excessive body fat, can cause many health problems and put you at a higher risk for diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea and other respiratory problems and some forms of cancer.
Many people who are seriously overweight have tried different diets, medications and professional weight-loss services for years without long-term success. Fortunately weight-loss, or bariatric, surgery at The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center can help those struggling with obesity get the long-term weight loss they need and lead a longer and healthier life.
The Center has been designated as a fully accredited Bariatric Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. The bariatric team at Desert Springs Hospital offers support through the entire weight-loss surgery process, from pre-op education to post-op support.
About Weight-Loss Surgery
Weight-loss surgery helps people lose weight by reducing the size of the stomach or bypassing part of the patient's intestines. After surgery, patients eat less food to feel full and satisfied.
There is more to weight-loss surgery than the procedure itself. To be successful, patients must make major changes in their lifestyle and eating habits, including:
- Restricting the amount and types of food they eat
- Avoiding drinking liquids with meals
- Exercising regularly
- Taking vitamin and mineral supplements
Are You a Candidate for Weight-Loss Surgery?
Weight-loss surgery may be right for you if:
- You are between 18 and 65 years of age
- You are at least 80 pounds overweight, depending on other health conditions
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is greater than 35
- You have tried other weight-loss methods without success
- You are medically stable and physically able to withstand surgery
- You pass a psychological screening test that helps ensure you are able to comply with post-surgical behavior modifications
- You complete all required pre-operative testing
The SHAPER Bariatric App
The free SHAPER Bariatric App can help those considering weight-loss surgery by providing an instant preview of how bariatric procedures can transform the body — direct from your mobile phone, tablet, or other device. Download the app to:
- See how you can reshape your body
- Learn more about weight-loss surgery options at Desert Springs Hospital
- Learn about the Surgical Weight Control Center surgeons: James D. Atkinson, MD, FACS, and Darren W. Soong, MD, FACS
- Sign up for an upcoming weight-loss seminar
- Receive updates on health-related topics
Download the app for the iPhone at the App Store or for Android smart phone in the Google Play Store.
Individual results may vary. There are risks associated with any surgical procedure. Talk with your doctor about these risks to find out if bariatric surgery is right for you.
For additional information about weight-loss surgery, read some commonly asked questions. You can also contact The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Desert Springs Hospital by sending an email or calling 702-369-7618.